Summer is all about loving life, reveling in sun-kissed days and carefree moments among friends. But somehow all that can come to a halt at the thought of stepping into a skin-baring bathing suit. So every year as summer approaches, I make a point to shift my perspective and step into the season with confidence.
Here are my tried-and-true tips for owning your bathing suit body this season.
- Customize Your Suit for Your Curves. One size doesn’t fit all in bras and panties—and this rule applies to swimsuits as well. Take the time to find a swimsuit that flatters your unique shape with bra sizing and different top and bottom sizes. Consider the colors that are most becoming on your skin tone. Need a second opinion? Bring a trusted friend who can help guide you.
- Love the Skin You’re In. Glowing, sun-kissed skin has a way of forgiving our petites imperfections. Begin by exfoliating your whole body using an at-home scrub—or better yet, visit the spa for a luxurious exfoliating treatment. Then, use a gradual self-tanner for a lightly bronzed look. Finally, hydrate your skin with a creamy body moisturizer. Looking for an extra hydrating boost? Apply a body oil (such as coconut oil) all over while you’re in the shower. The steam will help the oil penetrate into your skin for a radiant ooh-la-la glow.
- Get Summer-Ready Feet. Before slipping into your swimsuit, take a few steps to pamper and polish your feet. Opt for a regular pedicure throughout the summer. In between visits, refresh your feet with a mini at-home pedicure and new polish—and if you’d like to see quick improvement (and sleep better), give your feet a mini massage just before bedtime.
- Be Posture Perfect. Perfecting your posture has an instant slimming effect on your silhouette; and it’s a natural confidence booster. That’s right—standing in a posture of confidence, whether you’re actually feeling your best with or not, has an effect on the brain that shapes the way you feel and affects how others see you. This age old trick, now backed by scientific research, is useful for everything from business interviews to beaches!
- Accessorize Your Look. Just because you’re in a bathing suit, doesn’t mean you have to stop there. There are 3 accessories that finish your look and exude that oh-so-french elegance and confidence: a chic wide-brimmed sunhat, effortless-cool sunglasses, and a fabulous beach bag.
Now put on your favorite swim suit, sunglasses, a swipe of lipstick, and own the beach!