Sensuality is the secret to seduction. And what’s more sensual than a lusciously perfect pout? French women seem to have mastered the art of kissable, come-hither lips, needing nothing more than a swipe of gloss to look irresistible. Add a coat of bold lipstick and you’re 100% bisous-ready.
For those of us who aren’t genetically blessed with French femme fatale lips, or if you’ve ever started the evening with a perfect pout—only to discover red wine stained lips a couple of hours later—this is for you.
Here are my Paris-approved tricks to smooch-worthy lips:
- Polish Your Pout. Exfoliate once a week for smoother, softer lips. Use a soft bristle tooth brush or a moisturizing homemade scrub (mix sugar and coconut oil), for the perfect remedy during dry, wintery months.
- Moisturize. French women swear by their high quality pharmacie-purchased lip balms. Find a super-hydrating balm you love and apply it throughout the day, taking time to apply an extra coat every night before bed. Also, drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated au maximum.
- Go Au Naturel. Sometimes a woman needs nothing more than a swipe of high-quality lip balm on her lips to maintain an air of unfussed chic. Add a touch of nude or mauve gloss for a barely-there look with a hint of flattering color.
- Plump and Glow. Nothing gives the illusion of fuller lips better than a dab of gloss. Apply a touch of semi-clear lip gloss at the center of the Cupid’s Bow and bottom lip, and voilà!
- Line Up. Lip liner is fabulously versatile; use it to make your lipstick last longer, as an all-over lip color base, or as border-control for creamy lip colors. Your lips will look fuller and your color will appear richer. The trick? Blend your liner and lipstick together with a fine brush for complete coverage without a hard line.
- Wear Red…And Nothing More. When it comes to wearing a bold red lip, strive for fashionable, not flashy. Red lips pop best when paired with au naturel eye makeup and neutral clothing (think shades of grey, beige and jet-black). They’re also the perfect accessory to add instant glam to an unfussed, casual outfit. When going for a red pout, be sure to prime lips with liner the same color as your lipstick, filling in the entire lip.
Read my lips: A little bit of effort perfecting your pout = complete confidence and total séduction.